Monday, May 12, 2008

Yes, We Are Finally In Spring. (some additional plant pictures for you)



Greg: Thanks for reminding me to get back out there and take some more pictures of this plant whilst it is blooming. Here is the underside of the leaf. The leaf is not as strong as an Holly leaf but a wee bit thicker than normal plant leaves. I would say that it isn't a succulent type of leaf.



In this picture I was trying to give you a lateral view of the leaf for thickness.



I'm holding the flower for a side view. The flowers were so tiny they would go out of focus even with the flower setting on the camera when I brought the camera too close.



Here's a wider angle picture of the urn with these mystery plants.




Here's a front view of the flower. Apologies for not being able to bring the camera any closer. I took two sets of films previous to these and they were all out of focus.






More pictures of the plant in general and the last additional pictures. What do you think, Greg?




Here are some additional pictures to add to the collection of Spring photos. I do not have a clue what this plant is that I planted a few years ago in this urn. It sends out beautiful vines or shoots, if you will, down the side of the urn.




These are the Hawthorne trees directly south of the solarium at the back of our home and you can see the wee "fairie-hill" near the fence. ;-)





Here is another photo taken recently of those same trees with the leaves growing. The flowers will be making their entrance soon.





Here are those Bleeding Hearts (the North Western variety ) Many thanks to Greg of Midnight Gardens for letting me know what they are.





These have been growing for around five years now inside the solarium. Their name escapes me at the moment. There is another variety at the very right of this picture in green.




Our ficus tree has been moved to this corner and loves the change.





This "Mother-in-Law's Tongue was taken from my mother's plant nearly forty years ago and we had it shipped from Chicago when we moved out west this last time approximately 18 years ago. It is ready to be transplanted into a larger urn as soon as I pick one up. I was at Costco today and saw that they have some beautiful Vietnamese glazed urns there for sale.





This picture was taken a few weeks ago I wanted but you can see those plants in the urn out on the patio before they really opened up and started blooming in the next picture. You can see the shoots starting off the left side of the urn and the little shoots with red flowers coming up from the centre of the plant's leaves.




That's all I have for now. Our Maple trees in front and back have opened their leaves and look beautiful. I'll add some more pictures with them included in the near future.

19 comments:

Wonder Man said...

the plants, the bleeding hearts are cute

tornwordo said...

I saw bleeding hearts yesterday. I knew the name only because of Greg too.

Butch said...

Wonder man: Yes, and this version of them are a wee bit smaller than the ones Greg at Midnight Garden has beside his house. This is the first year they have appeared in the yard.

Butch said...

Tornwordo: I have learned a lot visiting Greg's blog or when he visits here; he is a wealth of knowledge and he's amazing with plants. They do well around here if I ignore them, water them occasionally, and don't try and love them to death.

I'm going to look into the variety Greg has and see if they would do well here. I think we get a lot more rain and much less snow than he gets. The climate where we live is much like Ireland's climate, though I think we get more rain than they do. Because of the rain, the many shades of green here say it all.

Gill said...

Oh I just love Costco!!! I am there weekly. Yesterday to buy big fat red geraniums and mixed planters. Woo hoo!
I just love your space. It is well cared for I can see. I adore being "nosy" through the gardens of others. Gardens say so much about a persons spirit. When you tend a garden, there is nothing more close to your heart. I adore this blog Butch!
Bleeding hearts are gorgeous.
xo

Butch said...

Gillian: Many thanks for your compliments but, I don't do very much more than water everything and try to stay out of the way of Mother Nature. I make an attempt at keeping the weeds at bay as well, though,I can see there needs to be more done in that area.

If I start "lovingly" caring for the plants, it is the kiss of death for sure.;) ( I even killed a cactus, now how hard could that be?!) ;-)

I like Costco as well. It would be so easy to start buying things right and left and I watch that I don't go in there hungry. I always end up buying more food than I need.

Here's a tip for you, the doggy chicken jerky at Costco's is $3.00 more expensive than the human beef jerky. Guess who now gets human jerky? Mr. Sean, our dog.
Many thanks.

Joe Jubinville said...

The purple leaves belong to an oxalis.

Comic Bobby Collins does a hilarious bit on Costco. There's a sample at iTunes.

Butch said...

Joe: Many thanks, I seem to forget the name of that plant. I know Greg has some as well but could it be old age?

We used to have to go to another town to shop at Costco but since they built another one only about 4-5 miles away I'm finding myself over there more and more. It is safe to say they sell just about everything.

I'll have to check iTunes out.

Greg said...

We get our share of rain, though this week only the threat of it, it seems.

Hey, I'm so glad to be helping you enjoy your gardens more! Butch, that urn plant has me completely stumped. It looks a little like the leaves on my Montauk daisy, but it's not that. Are the leaves succulent (thick and water retaining), like aloe? I'll be interested to watch those flower heads unfurl for another clue!

Oxalis is one of those names that comes and goes for me, as well. You're right, I did take a picture of some at the restaurant about a week ago. : )

Butch said...

Greg: The leaves aren't juicy like the Aloe or even the Jade but they are thicker than the average leaves I like the little cookie-cutter design that goes completely around the leaf. I will continue to take pictures of it. The flowers start off down by the leaves in the centre of the plant. The the stock shoots up from the centre with the little red flowers.

Thanks again to you and Joe for giving me the name of my plant in the solarium ( Oxalis ) I do not know why I continue to forget it. Also, your Bleeding Heart bush is much larger than the different species I have here in the yard. It seems to hover closer to the ground and doesn't make a bush like yours. I'm going to check and see if the variety you have will adapt to this climate once I get to the garden shop.

Back to the urn plant. We'll keep an eye on it and watch the changes. I know it sends beautiful little vines down the sides of the urn as it progresses during the spring and summer months.

Lacey said...

Love the bleeding hearts, and the Oxalis. Did you know bleeding hearts also come in white? The plant in the urn has me stumped. Are the leaves smooth and sort of shiny? It looks like a succulent. I'll be interested to see the flower bloom.

Butch said...

Lacey: I don't think it is a succulant. Greg from Midnight Garden is scratching his head as well for the name of the plant. If you click on the pictures they will enlarge and look closely to the stems growing out of the centre of the plant, those are the flowers and I will take some more pictures as they mature.

Those Bleeding Hearts were a surprise this spring as they have never appeared before this spring. I did not know they came in a white variety as well. I am learning so much from those of you who know a lot about gardening. Thanks.

Greg said...

Hey Butch!! I'm looking forward to some closer photos of that urn plant, if you can manage them (does your camera have the macrofocus setting for closer shots? Look for the little flower icon!). Not knowing what it is, is driving me a little crazy, esp. since it looks so familiar.

I can't wait to see what those flowers look like, to listen for a bell of recognition going off in my slot machine of a head.

Happy Friday!!

Butch said...

Greg: Thanks for reminding me. I took a total of three sets of pictures and had to erase the first two due to the flowers being out of focus. I then turned on the "flower-setting" and I still had the camera too close to the flowers which are very tiny. So... I pulled back a wee bit to bring the flowers into focus. I hope they are not too far away to be able to recognize them. The flowers and leaves are taken from different directions so you can have a better idea what you are seeing. Good luck with this.

Lacey said...

The flower looks like a coral bell, but not the leaves. Maybe a type of coral bell?

I don't know. We may have to come out there...investigative reporting, know what I mean? Greg?

Butch said...

Lacey: Perhaps, it is one more piece to this puzzle. Unfortunately, I can not remember where I got it, good luck guys. (At least it's not saying," Feed me Seymour!") ;-)

Greg said...

Thanks for the additional photos, Butch. Sad to say still no answers yet...but I'm loving this plant. I'll keep my eye out for anything that looks similar at the nursery...

I was thinking coral bells, too, Lacey, but you're right, the leaves are all wrong...and I don't think they spread so enthusiastically, either.

Greg said...

Oh, yah, and I saw a RED version of your kind of bleeding heart in someone's yard as I drove by the other day. I'll try to stop soon for a photo of them...

Butch said...

Greg: Many thanks for your input on this mysterious plant.

I will be interested in seeing the bleeding heart like mine in red. Thanks again!