Friday, August 22, 2008

Black berries & Flowers


We picked these black berries from the back yard and made a delicious pie out of them. I'll be out picking a bunch more tomorrow.
My neighbor brought over a bunch of apples from his apple tree so I made two pies and gave him one of them. This has been a wonderful game of tag. He brought over some blue berries today so it looks like I'll be baking a few more pies!

I thought I had better get some pictures of the Day lilies or they will be gone soon so here they are. This year there weren't nearly as many as in previous years. I'm not sure why but the dog tramping through them occasionally may have had something to do with it. ;-)

One of my transplanted Geraniums is blooming in the solarium so here it is,

. . .and again from the view above it.


There was one lone Blue flower blooming from the urn on the patio. I remember have a bunch of them by this time of the year but only one has appeared this year.

Here it is from another angle.


8 comments:

Joie Mayfield said...

Blackberries make me want a cobbler. :)

Butch said...

Joie: How true. I think tomorrow's pies will be finishing up the apples I still have. Who knows, A Brown Betty sounds tasty as well. ( with a scoop of ice cream ) ;-)

Wonder Man said...

Brown Betty does sound nice, too bad I'm trying to be serious about my diet

Butch said...

Wonder Man: That makes three of us. There isn't much I can do since I don't want the apples to turn bad. As luck would have it, My neighbor brought over two wee baskets of blueberries, so guess who made a blueberry pie today?! Oink!

Greg said...

A blackberry peach pie always rules the summer!

But I bet blackberry cobbler would be pretty wonderful, too...especially warm, with some vanilla ice cream. SIGH.

Nice flowers! Butch, that last one, does that grow in the same urn with that mystery plant we tried to sort out this past spring? I think the current bloom is pincushion flower (scabiosa).

Butch said...

Greg: The cobbler sounds good as well but so does the peaches with it. I make a coffee cake that had black berries and raspberries all over the top and a thick glaze is poured over it and then, baked. Yummy, especially with a dollop of ice cream.

The "infamous urn" is host to a few plants, sharing space with the one that is in question. These blue flowers, ( I don't remember the name ) used to be abundant and ending the blooming of the plants in the urn every year. This year only one came up and bloomed. I thought I had better capture it in the event none are there for next year.

We have another berry run to the backyard bush today to harvest many more of them that are ready to be picked, and I am going to a house concert this evening to see probably the best Uillinn piper today, Paddy Keenan. He shares the bill with Tommy O'Sullivan a wonderful Irish singer and great guitarist. It should be fun.

Joe Jubinville said...

I want to be a blueberry pie "it."

My neighbor just brought over some limes. Looks like key lime pie is on the agenda.

Butch said...

Joe: Oohh . . . Key lime pie, I love key lime pie. I've got to get off of this pie merry-go-round or I'm going to need that fork lift to transfer me to the back of that truck and soon. ;-)