Sunday, August 9, 2009

Solarium blooming plants

The Geranium is in bloom with beautifully, bright red flowers. I thought I would add some of the other blooming plants in our solarium.
Enjoy!












Our very hot weather finally broke this past week bringing us much needed cooler weather. I awoke this morning to lightly falling rain. It wasn't enough to really quench the earth but, was enough to clean the air of the pollen, dust and other things that come with a dry spell. This time of year is our "dry-season" and is looked forward to by many Washingtonians. The very hot weather we experienced is unusual for this climate. We reached 111 degrees in one part of the city of Tacoma. On my drive home, it varied between 107 and 110 degrees F. on the expressway. This weather felt more like the temperatures you would expect in Los Angeles, California. Generally, it is much cooler this time of the year staying in the 70s and low 80s.
Is Global Warming finally catching up with us here in the Northwest? We shall see.




9 comments:

MartininBroda said...

We have the hot weather here again, but after all, it’s summer. So with the cooler weather you can leave your cave now sometimes? :-)

Verification cricitch, what may that be

Butch said...

Martin: There's an huge difference in hot weather and Death Valley temperatures. ;-) Sorry, you're back into the heat wave again.

Our weather now is more like what we are used to feeling. It started raining yesterday afternoon and presently, this morning, it is lightly raining. It cleans the air of dust and other things. Steve has been having allergy problems until the rain. He is now experiencing relief due to the air being much cleaner.

That word verification is a protection from automated spam mailing. The programs running that can not desipher the alpha-numerical information or the different sizes of it. What is interesting to me are the interesting words it comes up with at random. ( I hope I answered the question you were asking. )

MartininBroda said...

My question was not really serious, but sometimes this system creates funny words. Fortunately I have not that many spam comments.

Butch said...

Martin: Sorry, I missed your meaning. The spam never comes from the people who comment on this blog, it usually, comes from businesses or "evildoers" who want to advertise or creat some mischief. I welcome as many comments as a person desires to make.

Greg said...

So pleased to hear that you have not melted in the great heat. Thanks for the tour of the solarium. You remind me that I want to try growing a...ummm, oh, damn...that pretty pink flower with the fancy-looking leaves you show us in the second picture (next to the kalanchoe in the foreground)...ummm, CYCLAMEN!! (I had to break down and look through a book...)

Anyway...heh...I want to grow some - it's been years. But I think I need deeper windowsills! Stay cool!! : )

Greg said...

Hey, Martin, are the Cricitches the poor family in Dicken's A Christmas Carol? ; )

Butch said...

Greg: Sorry, I should have mentioned the name of the plant. It seems to like that spot on the table in there. I picked it up in the garden area of our local store for Steve and of course, I took it over attending to its survival. ;-)

It needs to be replanted and perhaps, I'll take care of that when we return from our trip to Michigan for our niece's wedding. We'll leave on Thursday of next week and be gone for about a week. We'll also fly to Chicago and visit Steve's side of the family while we are in the Midwest. Should be fun since it's been a number of years since we have returned.

J-o-h-n-n-y said...

Really like your solarium man!!!

:_)

Butch said...

Johnny: Thanks. It opens up the house to the back yard. We've slowly made additions to our home over the years but, this one has been our favorite and gets the most use.