Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It's Spring Time.



I thought I would add an addendum to this entry. Today 26-Mar-08, it began to snow!! Yesterday looked more like Spring with the intermittent showers but today, the snow shower made me run (no; walk. I do not run.) for my camera to capture this Spring folly.




To my friend Cooper, and all those who actually have real footage of snow annually , this wee squall is much ado about nothing. Our history will show we have had our blizzards and snow fall that will stop us in our tracks, especially up in the mountains where we have had record snow falls over the years.



The storm seems to have passed through this area and it is now back to lightly raining. I should say that we usually do not see snow in the winter months where we live save, one or two small storms of snow. Today's storm took me by surprise so, I thought I would add them to the rest of the Spring pictures.


(Now, back to your local stations.) ;-)



It's Springtime and between the intermittent showers this afternoon I went out into the front and back yards to have a closer look at our plants, bushes and trees preparing themselves after the Winter standing dormant. The first picture is our Magnolia tree with blossoms just about ready to open. Unfortunately, they don't last very long before they wilt and fade away.



These "Blue Beauties" are always the first plant to bloom in the Spring and they share space with my mint and thyme herbs.




The "Wedding Tree is on the left, a "weeping cherry tree" that seems to love that spot. Down the hill is the lichen and moss covered Maple tree with last year's leaves ready to be removed when the soil is dry enough for working in the yard. ( Seán is just coming around the deck. )




Here is another picture of the "Wedding Tree." We were given this tree as a wedding present from my sister, her husband & and old friend. We are presently, trying to get rid of the moss growth that was immense this Winter. It was surprising how much area it took over and how much grass was displaced by it. I plan on retaking these photos as the plants and trees bloom. The Rhodie's bloom a wee bit later but are well worth the wait.



I leave you with a verse and a chorus of this little dittie from William Shakespeare's "As You Like It," Act V, Scene III.



Song


It was a lover and his lass,

With a hey, and a ho, and a hey nonino,

That o'er the green corn-field did pass

In the spring time, the only pretty ring time,

When birds do sing, hey ding a ding,ding:

Sweet lovers love the spring . . .

It's Spring time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


(ah, yes, it is, indeed!)

14 comments:

Jacob said...

Dang. I just left a comment, but then entered the incorrect last letter of the word verification and instead of just cycling through and letting me try again, the entire text disappeared. Shucks. It's in the Butch-o-sphere now. It was lovely. Honest.

Jacob said...

I said something about how Cooper gets to have Spring so much more fully than you and I in the lower latitudes of the P.N.W. And then I said I live just a nick below the 45th parallel. I think I'm at something like 44'45" or thereabouts. And then I said that I took a picture of a really nice trillium on the logging road that leads up to my driveway. And then I said that I will post it soon. And then I went to enter that darned word verification. And then it disappeared. And then that is all I had to say. Except for that and then I said, "Happy, happy, happy Spring, Butch!"

Joe Jubinville said...

Spring is bustin out all over the blogs. Silly, wonderful Shakespeare, hey nonino, ding a ding ding, and the 'darling buds of May' to come. Happy ding a ding ding, Butch.

Butch said...

Gawpo: Many thanks for trying to recapture your thoughts once they vanished into the oblivion of the cyber-blog. One knows it has to be floating around somewhere. I had this happen on Cooper's blogs once only for it to show up the next day! ;-) I think I entered the correct WV but that isn't always a guarentee.

Joe: I have heard a musical setting of these lyrics written by Morley and sung by the legendary Counter-tenor, Alfred Deller accompanied by one of the continuo instruments of the time; the lute. Actually, it was very nicely done.

May we all have a "hey nonino" & a few "ding a ding,dings." in our hearts. Ditto, back at ya!

My WV for this is: tedump ... how musical or is it a constitutional call to nature? ( where is tornwordo? We need answers ) ;-)

Cooper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cooper said...

Heigh-ho, those words just resonate with rising sap and wanting to make merry in a haystack! That Shakespeare sure knew his ditties of the heart, spring and otherwise! Ding, ding, indeed.

Joe, The Darling Buds of May (and sequels) are some of my favourite books! Perfick, that Sid Larkin.

Cooper said...

P.S. I love the colour of your house.

Butch said...

Cooper: It's true that this time of year brings out the "friskiness" in the "young in heart." There is that "itch that needs scratched" and goodness knows, that is why we are all here.

RE: the colour; it is a cross between a light rose and salmon in colour. Thanks. After looking at the pictures, I can see a lot of work that needs to be done to counter the effects of a wet winter. ( It's still too wet to do anything without it becoming mud.

Butch said...

Cooper: I almost forgot, I thought you would like the "ding, dings" and tried to tie them in as an after thought to your post of the bus ride, with your own "ding,dings." Shakespear became very handy and was up to the task. ;-)

Patrick said...

Five of the years I lived in Seattle, I was in an apartment that had a magnolia tree right outside the front windows. In spring we'd be looking out through clouds of pink and purple. Even better, outside my bedroom window (in back) was a lilac tree. It bloomed every year, and every other year would just go crazy with the blossoms. Whenever I've been able to afford it, I now fill my apartment with lilacs whenever they're in season. It's nice, but still not the same.

Butch said...

Patrick: Steve's favorite flower is the liac bloom. We have three bushes of them on our property, with two in the front and one in the back. Our original planting of the first bush didn't have enough sunlight to make it bloom and it hardly did any growing. After three or four years, we transplanted it to the front where it is in a spot that gets a lot of sunlight. It has flourished in that spot and has grown more than twice its size with blooms annually. The do smell so nice, too!

Java said...

I love that you have a wedding tree! Weeping cherries are one of my favorite ornamental trees. Actually, I love trees, and there aren't many trees that I don't like.
I look forward to seeing more pictures from your yard as Spring unfurls.

Butch said...

Java: Thanks. It is just starting to bloom and as soon as it really starts opening the flowers, I will snap some more pictures. Unfortunately, the yard is still a mess from the winter but in time, that will be taken care of as well.

My pictures, compared to Greg of "Midnight Garden," Cooper of "Cooper's Corridor" "Patrick of "Loose Ends," and others who love to get out and turn the soil and take beautiful pictures, I am only a wee amateur fish in a very big pond of professionals here on the blog. Hopefully, I won't embarrass everyone with my attempts at picture taking. ;-)

Greg said...

Say Butch, there's to be no more of that "Hopefully, I won't embarrass everyone" business, eh?

The deal is, You capture the view you'd like to share with us and we get to see the world through your eyes! Already I'm looking forward to seeing that wedding tree in bloom!

Your hyacinths are already blooming!! Ours are still probably a week or more away, depending on how much rain we see...I hope you stop each day to gather a noseful of their delightful perfume!

Ah, Springtime and a young man's fancy, now there's fodder for ten times ten thousand blog posts. I'll see your "hey nonny nonny" and raise you a "rama-lama ding dong"!