Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Little Bit of This and That On a Wednesday

Happy belated Canada Day to all my Canadian friends!

After my eye surgery last week, I was given upon leaving the eye centre, a wee basket of red flowers. I thought it was such a nice gesture to do. The clinic, staff and physicians were super and made my visit as pleasant as could be under the circumstances. This basket was the icing on the cake for me.




A few weeks ago, I saw this urn at the local Costco and kept going back to it until my next trip to the store when I purchased it. It weighs in somewhere between 60 to 80 lbs. dry so I had a young, strong, and an eager gentleman who worked there, help place it in the basket and then another one who told me to just hold the cart whilst he did all the work of lifting it into our wee SUV. Gotta love that store. Here it is with some dirt from the "Faerie Hill" ( hope they didn't mind too much ) along with the recently transplanted Ficus tree. It seems to love its new urn.





I missed the blooming of theses wild roses in the yard by some days so these are at the end of their blooming cycle. Sorry. Next year I will watch for them and catch them just as they bloom.




Here are more of the wild roses intertwined with the berries. About five years ago, we cleaned out the berries which had taken over that area which allowed the roses to go into their growth. Slowly, they have returned. I like harvesting the berries and making pies and jams out of them but they can become over powering unless they are kept pruned back.




This last picture is of Steve and Seán helping him take a nap! Thought you would enjoy that one. He tries to help so much. ;-)

12 comments:

Wonder Man said...

The last pic is cute

Butch said...

Wonder Man: I thought so as well.;-)

Greg said...

Those little red flowers are kalanchoe! A wonderful house plant--prune off the faded flowers when they do, and don't water too heavily...I had one that lasted for several years! What a nice touch--you certain were at a very caring facility, that's for sure!

Your ficus looks quite happy in the new ern, and the roses, despite being on their downward slope, are still lovely!!

Sean is terribly helpful, isn't he? I know I always drift off to sleep more easily when I can feel Badum's kitty paw resting on my leg. If Em were to join me though, she'd quickly take over and banish me to the couch!

A belated happy Canada Day to you, and also a happy Fourth, my expatriot friend!!

Butch said...

Greg: Thanks for the name of that plant. They are the brightest red I've seen in awhile. ( save, your beautifully red flowers ) Of course, it may be my new lens making everything brighter! ;-)

Yes, one can count on Seán to help one take a nap. Weighing in at 110lbs. makes him a bit heavy laying himself all over one. He can stay that way with Steve though he will lay by my side for awhile then, he moves to the bottom of the bed right beside one's leg. I don't think I have ever seen a dog as good natured and as happy as Seán is.

Thanks for the best wishes though I am not an "ex-patriot" yet. We reside in the state of Washington. Although, because of the political climate, the thought has occurred more than once. ;-)

Happy early July 4th to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

You know, it must be mandated that every dog more than forty pounds must be sprawled across their owner if they are going to bed for the night. I say we rebel and go on strike. Sleep on the floor you mangy beast!

Butch said...

Al: Ha! If you looked into those beautiful brown eyes, . . . well, how could you refuse?! It's interesting that he will stay in that position on Steve but will position himself by my side, then down by my feet.

We trained him from a puppy that his cage was his home and many times I will find him napping in his cage rather than on the bed.

Today, Steve was napping in the afternoon and you guessed it, Seán was lying all over him. I didn't realize it but when I saw another dog out side, I called out, "puppy, puppy," and Seán evidently trampled Steve to get up and see. Steve wouldn't let him back up for the remainder of his nap. ;-)

Seán has quite the vocabulary and there are times we have to spell in front of him to keep him from reacting. e.g. "There's the MAIL-MAN." He knows he gets to walk out to the mailbox with one of us to retrieve the mail and gets very excited when he hears that.

Joe Jubinville said...

Kalanchoe (pronounced Kal-an-ko-ee)has some of the brightest red flowers ever. The plant is almost succulent and can be treated like a jade - not too much water, as Greg said, but plenty of light. Your ficus was made for that handsome new urn.

Roses or berries... tough call! Hope they can find a way to coexist in peace. Perhaps Sean and Steve could be consulted on that , -)

Butch said...

Joe: Thanks for the pronunciation, I would have guessed the suffix of that name would have been pronounced like Margaret Cho's last name.

I went back recently to Costco and all the urns are gone ... I don't think they were all sold off like that, hmmmmmm. I'll have to inquire about it. I'm glad the ficus didn't react to the transplant, it seems to like its new home.

Those roses & berries have been co-existing for quite awhile. Because of the berries I do not need a trellis to hold the roses up in position. ;-) I just can't let them take over. When they start reaching out for me whilst mowing the yard I know it's time to trim them back a bit. ( They test me from time to time.) ;-)

tornwordo said...

Aww, I love the last shot.

Butch said...

Torn: Thanks. Did you notice Seán's paw is positioned up by Steve's face? I couldn't let this moment go by without a snapshot. ;-)

Greg said...

Oh, oops...somehow, I thought you guys were north of the border--well, my Independence Day greetings go double, then!!

; )

I'll thank Joe for the pronunciation guide, as well--that's a new one on me! Great little plants, if you remember to forget them now and then!

Love that you need to spell M A I L M A N in front of Sean. Here it's P I Z Z A and that doesn't even work anymore!

Butch said...

Greg: No problem, sometimes I wish I were. ;-)

I learn new things every day from my blogger friends and life in general and the pronunciation of the name of that plant is just one of many.

Regarding having to spell in front of our dogs: A smart dog is fun to have around just watching them figure out a situation. I wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing is worse than looking into the vacant, doll-eyed stare of a brainless dog. When I look into Seán's eyes I can see that someone is home. ;-)

Hope your "4th" was a blast. (figuratively speaking)