Friday, July 25, 2008

Time to Pick Up the Pieces and Move Onward.

Our circle is a wee bit smaller this week due to a most unfortunate scandal that Nicky Cooper never was a real person. ( at least the one we thought we knew ) We loved him for being that kind, single young gay father with two adopted boys, wise for his age, a wonderful outlook on life, nature, and the woods he used to take us to on his tramps in many of his entries. His wonderful prose was inspiring and would bring delight to most of us with every entry.

We know now that it was Kate who penned the beautiful prose from her own heart and much of her writing was about her own son, one of a twin, who died a short while after birth named Liam. Her writing was one way of making sense to what happened in her life and she was dealing with it through her writings. Unfortunately, the woman behind the character, "Nicky" plagiarized much of Kate's material as well as some of Kate's own pictures of her husband pulling their son through the snow on a sled. Just these no-no's would bring into question a person's untrustworthy behavior. Furthermore, was the issue that Nicky, as we knew him, was fictional. What was slowly unraveling started to spin revealing one layer after another of lies, and deception. It was bound to happen as the stories changed and more lies had to be told to maintain that deception.

As it turned out, the person who created the characters of Nicky and Joel, had been reaching out for friendship, compassion, to fit into the company of gays and befriend them and other things to compensate for a personality that had been looked down upon and discouraged. This person is a female but has always felt she is a male creating Nicky at the age of six years old. This info comes third hand through Father Tony's site who has substantiated this person's identity and that what she has said on his site is true at least as much as we can try and believe it. Many thanks to Father Tony for his part in trying to get to the bottom of this debacle as well as some comments from Joe of JMG, Al of Blue Alto for his informative thoughts on this and Greg of the Midnight Garden for starting the ball rolling in our blog circle.

As I mentioned on Al's site, what may have caused this problem to manifest was her struggle with transgender issues, being raised in an area of B.C. where she came to believe "s/he" was unique, and the only one like himself, suffering greatly carrying this burthen alone. With no other outlet, I can see inventing this persona of "Nicky" saved him throughout his growing years. Nicky had mentioned he had an invisible friend whilst he was very young and perhaps, Nicky was that friend. But, it was interesting that "Nicky" was going to remain the age 26 for the rest of his life and the iteration of a similar character named Joel, as it was pointed out in another person's comments. Joe also was 26 years old. Joel was dying of leukemia and was another manifestation of hers crying out for sympathy, love and compassion. After this person was found to be a fake, that site closed down and eventually, Cooper's Corridor became the focus and Nicky became her outlet, in my opinion. I, like many, were drawn to his magnetic, and kind personality. How was one not to like Nicky?

This need of hers may be explained as a variation of Munchhausen's syndrome. We have a fictional character taking care of two boys, one, healthy and the other, sickly, and in the familiar definition of this syndrome the mother or parent makes the child sick in order to get sympathy from others for that parent's sacrifices made to make the child well again. Many times a child needs to be brought in to the hospital where they become well amazingly fast under the care of professionals. In Nicky's case, one doesn't know if the children were ever sick or were ever made sick on purpose, but the basic premise is the same. "Look at all the sacrificing I am doing to take care of my sick child."

As well as others, I too, noticed fuzzy parts in his emails and entries and parts that he would change the next time around. I recall once, he had a dog named Molly and in an email I had asked what happened to her since I had never seen any pictures of her with the boys. I eventually, received an answer that Matteo had allergies that were caused by Molly and Nicky had to leave the dog with his best friend, the one who grew up with him. I accepted that answer until there was an entry mentioning the recent addition to the family named "Bud", the dog with Dario holding him in the picture. I wondered if Nicky had forgotten the first story he told about Molly. Another was Matteo's pneumonia and all that transpired, only to read a little later Nicky taking them out in the snow or pulling a sled with him in it. ( The infamous lifted picture of Kate's husband pulling their little boy on a sled) from Kate's site that was removed along with the visiting blogger's story at another blogger's site was an example of the pictures that were lifted. ) And still another of taking a grandmotherly type babysitter with him to take care of the boys in the Yukon whilst he worked. The last time his friend Michael and his wife took care of the boys. The stories were stretched to the point of unbelievability. There were quite a few more, but I, like many, wanted to believe in him and I ignored my own defense systems. When I was practicing medicine, I used to do H & Ps ( History & Physicals ) on every new patient I would see and one usually, can see when a patient is not telling the truth by asking a lot of questions especially in different ways. One would think I should have known better to be able to spot when there was a lie. I was duped along with many others by the shy charm and well articulated prose that would come out of his blog. Kate deserves the kudos for her material, her life and all that was lifted to make the Cooper blog what it was. I will continue to drop by her blog and would encourage anyone who reads my blog to visit hers. You have already read what her writing is like and it seems sensible to read it from the source.

I thought I knew Nicky and we emailed enough that I considered him a close blogging friend. I am corresponding with her presently, to have some questions answered so I can bring about some closure in my life to this unfortunate calamity. I am not angry, I am disappointed and I feel duped, and embarrassed that I could be taken in so easily. One thing I can say, that other's have said, is I have met some very nice and decent bloggers from reading Nicky's two sites and I hope we can all continue to trust each other and not reach the point where it hampers one's blogging bringing it all to a stop through fear. I do not want to feel that way, and if it happens again, I hope I am better prepared. Perhaps, trusting too much is the problem but I would rather continue trusting until proven otherwise. Nicky has apologized to me for deceiving me and I will take it that she really means it.

May the character "Nicky Cooper" rest in peace. He was truly loved and may his creator receive the counseling she truly needs, and the compassion and peace that hopefully, follows. It's time for me to close this chapter. Thank you all for your own comments on your own sites and on others, it has helped bring this into focus for me knowing that others are feeling the same way and only want what's best for all the party's closely involved in this.

Since, Patrick has come forward to write about something painfully personal, I want you to know you have my utmost respect and there is no need for humiliation, you were led on and duped into believing in this person as we were. Never forget, you do have friends, whether they are blogger friends you've never seen before or the ones you have found to be real. You are always welcome here at Butch's Banter, always my friend.

Thanks to all of you as well. Now, on with the blogs.

27 comments:

Paul said...

I always wondered what happened to Molly.

Butch said...

Paul: That is if Molly ever existed. Chances are, she might have but not connected in any way to the story we have been led to believe.

Curtis said...

"Nicky" has yet to correspond with me and I have to admit that I'm more pissed off about that than the original deceit.

It's like salt in the wound.

Lacey said...

I'm a little stunned, and I guess I'll have to do some grieving. And I think I will do some re-thinking about this whole blogging thing, and what it means to me, and how important it has become. I'm also feeling a bit foolish. Lots of lessons to be learned here, I fear.

Butch said...

Curtis: We have been in touch but "Nicky" has a day job and is taking care of the two boys with her husband. I hope to have my questions answered and this resolved. I know this can not be a good time for her and if one multiplies my email, yours and a host of others that need answered, it can be overwhelming, I would imagine. I would wait a moment and give it another try, though I do understand your feelings in not being responded to.

Butch said...

Lacey: Don't beat yourself up too much, we are all in the same boat. I've been having some of those same feelings intermittently and these will resolve in time.

tornwordo said...

Hey yeah, I forgot about molly.

Butch said...

Torn: It's all so sad that this had to end this way. I would have loved to believe there really was a Nicky and not find out that the person behind Nicky needed to create this person in order to find friends and love.

Gill said...

What a horrible deception.


It isn't you that should feel embarrassed, Butch. It is this Nicky woman, who obviously thought it was okay to play with people's emotions.

I've always hated games. I am not a good player you see, for I don't feel embarrassed. I feel righteously pissed off.

But I won't allow her to discolour my perceptions of the internet, you see I went into blogging realizing that 99% of people are inherently good, just like in life.

I hope she gets help. And it's too bad she didn't just start a blog about being a young gay man stuck in a womans body. I am sure there are a couple out there. Perhaps she'd have found the support she was looking for.

R.I.P. Coopy, you will be missed.

***
Butch! Come check out my new digs. I am real, you can ask Joe xo

Butch said...

Wonder man: Yes, it's been quite a week.

Butch said...

Gillian: It's been quite a week, to say the least. Many were taken in by the character of Nicky that she created, and when it started to unravel, it did affect all who interacted with him/her.

"Nicky" said she would answer my questions this weekend so I await what she has to tell me. I hope she can keep her word after all that has happened.

There are very real people on this blog like you say, and I'm not discouraged, just feeling a bit empty not unlike losing a friend or someone dying. I look at it in that way.

Evidently, Will, a past paramour of Nicky's came forward recently on another blog and said he had never actually met Nicky in person and their relationship had been long distance until they could finally be together. It was fabricated to appear, with Will's permission, though now he knows it was wrong and wished he hadn't, as though they were living together. Will being a real person as well as Patrick another real person taken in by this game, made her deception selfish and cruel to their feelings only to maintain her farce. She does need help and hopefully, this time, she will go for it.

I know you are the real deal from your adventures and visits with Joe. By the way, you have one of the most beautiful blogs I have seen and your adventures are always worth reading. I'll be over in a moment. Thanks for stopping by.

Greg said...

Butch, I'm not sure if you've seen it, but Will came by the MG as well, and spoke a little less defensively than he felt he needed to at JMG and Farmboyz.

I think we're all looking for a little peace after this strong and swift summer storm.

Not least of all, I wish it for Jo/Nicky...who was, despite illusions and deceptions, a friend to us in our time together.

Greg said...

Lacey, have you taken down your blog? I can't find a link through your profile any longer? :(

How will we know all what to look forward to about retirement? Be well!

Butch said...

Greg: I didn't know he had. I saw his email to another person's site that I had never visited and he had said he never went to B.C. or saw Nicky in person. I will have to get over to your site and catch up.

I agree with you on what you said about Nicky. As I wrote to Nicky, I have no interest in exploiting her or making this more sensational than it already is. I hope she can get through this without reverting to the deception again.

Butch said...

Greg: I hope Lacey will continue reading our blogs and know what you have said. His last one to me revealed his feeling that he needed to reevaluate whether he wanted to blog or not, considering the deception and feeling of being duped. I had noticed he took down his blog recently and hope he reconsiders. There are many of us that are what we say we are and Gillian said it best in her comment to me. Let's hope everyone can stand their ground and not get spooked by this latest event.

Anonymous said...

I'm truly sorry that so many people now have a void in their lives. That Nicky is missed so much is quite remarkable. I do invite you to my blog if you are interested in meeting people like Nicky. Real gay moms and dads and a lot of straight ones too doing their best to raise their kids in a challenging world. There are a bunch of great people, real people here.

Butch said...

Jen: Hi Jen, and welcome to my blog. I would love to visit your blog and will do so. Hopefully, others who will read this will now know of your blog as well. Stop by any time you like.

Joey said...

This type of thing is nothing new, it's just that the internet has made it easier. Just before the internet took over, I knew lots of guys in Manhattan revealed (eventually) to have completely fake backgrounds. Of course they couldn't use photos of someone besides themselves, but they had made-up names and even fake photos of fake relatives (and fake paintings of ancestors- if the guy was pretending to be a blueblood). The amount of detail these guys would put into their fake backgrounds was astounding.//Anyway, let this be a reminder that the internet is no replacement for real life activities. It should be a compliment to it, and a tool to doing more real life activity.

Butch said...

Joey7777: I'm sure there are many more instances of this and each one doesn't make it any easier for those who are on the short end of the stick only because they trusted the person the person lying about themselves. I would like to believe that there are more people wanting to share with others in friendship, their true selves and not needing to make things up so people will like them or find them attractive to meet. Some have given up on the blogs because of the deceptions but I plan on continuing to blog with what I find interesting in life or sharing some of my life experiences along the way. Some are funny and other stories are serious, in any event, I've lived long enough and have experienced many things to not have to make them up. When I run out, I will become a better listener or reader, if you will. ;-)

Joey said...

Butch : Well, yeah..of course it's unpleasant to be the "fooled" person of one of those fakes. A person you thought was in existence turns out to be a work of fiction. It's a mind-fuck. The cases I mentioned in NYC were sort of harmless, albeit a little creepy, because they were just trying to impress people by upping their "status", but I'm not so forgiving with these internet frauds. I never saw Cooper's Corridor, but what I find offensive is that the con-artist must have wasted the precious time of a lot of guys. While they were wasting time with the fraud...who knows?...they could have been meeting Mr. Right.///Anyway, I'd agree with you that it's no reason to stop blogging altogether. It's sort of the modern-day pen-pal thing. I'd guess most out there are, more or less, honest.

Butch said...

Joey7777: "...I never saw Cooper's Corridor, but what I find offensive is that the con-artist must have wasted the precious time of a lot of guys. While they were wasting time with the fraud...who knows?...they could have been meeting Mr. Right..."
===================================
There was no way in knowing Nicky was not who he said he was, and I'm not sure that "con-artist" actually fits, though I know how you mean it. Nicky never asked for anything or wanted anything from anyone except friendship. Nicky does know it was wrong to mislead some of the people who saw a potential relationship with him but it got out of control. One lie told needed another to try and fix the cracks that were appearing in that lie and it was a matter of time before it all imploded. Nicky, could not be more sorry for what she has done and that doesn't excuse what she did, but there were other reasons for the deception besides fraud or conning someone out of something. Nicky, ( the person behind this character ) truly felt like he was Nicky. There are transgender issues involved here and many other factors for this behavior. I am not excusing it but trying to understand the motivation to bring a person to this level. She knows she needs to get into therapy where she can sort this out better with a professional and she knows what she did was wrong. It started out as a fictional person, being able to live as a man through that person. It just got out of hand when she went on the blogs with this character. Once the ball was rolling, it was hard if not impossible, to stop the chain of lies that followed. I'm sure on one level, she is relieved it is over, and wishes she could take back the hurt she has caused. I have spoken with her recently, and she could not apologize enough for what she has done to us all. Because of this, she is emotionally exhausted, not eating or sleeping and knows it is her own fault. What she is doing is a good first step in her getting to the bottom of this and also a healing process that she needs as well as those victims of her ruse. I feel sorry for her knowing that she wasn't doing this out of a malicious nature but one of loneliness and wanting to make gay friends. Thanks for your input, Joey7777.

Joey said...

Butch : You're right. "Con artist" should refer to criminals after money, and I do know this case wasn't that. You seem understanding of this person, which is a good quality, but....be careful. It's good to be open to understanding, but don't fall for a continued fraud. Best. -Joe

Butch said...

Joey7777: Wise words. Thanks.

Lacey said...

Excuse me for being contrary, but con-artist, IMO, is spot-on. She/he did, indeed, steal something from us all. Every one of us who cared, and believe me, I really cared, have had something stolen from us.

On the other hand, for me it results in something positive...a reevaluation of my own motives for blogging. I've faced the fact that a blog on the internet is not the forum for me to express myself, or find my voice.

As long as I can be open and honest in my comments on other people's blogs, I'll be satisfied with that being the extent of my "on line" participation.

Greg...thanks for asking about me. It's nice to be cared about, isn't it?

regards,
tom (lacey)

Butch said...

Lacey: I understand your point of view. If you haven't been by Patrick's site, his father summed it up very well regarding whether you lost something or not. He believes, that one gave their love and friendship freely and that it wasn't taken and you still have that love to give anything you like. I am paraphrasing of course, but it only becomes stolen if you let it be stolen from you. I like that perspective and I know we all in some form or another, gave our love and it was also given back to us even though it was in the guise of a fictitious character we knew as Nicky.

I too, am sorry you decided to close down your blog, though I understand your feelings, you know you are welcome to drop by any time your in the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Hi Butch,

Further to what you said, I'd just like to add a point about what it was that we all gained from the site written by Nicky.

While I understand the anger and betrayal, as there really was no Cooper, a guy many people cared about, there is still the very real feelings one takes away from that site. His / her messages were good messages, and if you look at the cumulative value of those words,and the effect they had on you, I'm guessing you are better for it.

Not condoning the deception at all, I am just saying that what you took away in quality, in potential insight, and in the simple act of brightening your day, is still substantive. Regardless of where those words came from.

Butch said...

Al: Very well said. I do recall coming away from the Cooper blog usually feeling better than before I visited it and we can remember the person Nicky Cooper, whether real or fantasy and remember also, that he was a kind, and gentle soul who brought many of us together.