Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Out of the way things to see in Seattle, Washington

There are some strange sites in Seattle where one can go kill some time and have fun in the process.
I found the "Troll Under the Bridge" in the Fremont area of Seattle as one of those things to see. It is sometimes called the Fremont Bridge Troll though this troll is actually not under the Fremont Bridge. It can be located on N. 36th Street ( I think if memory serves me well ) That is a Volkswagen in its hand. There is a wee story that goes with this. The car used to have a California License Plate on it. There is a little friendly war going on between Washingtonians and Californians and this Troll destroying a California car was "tongue-in-cheek."
This is a huge work of art that was created by four artists and it really takes up much of the space under the north end of this bridge.

Here's another picture of the Troll.


For many years it was said that the elephant on the top of this flower shop was real, a hunting trophy from the 1930s. Eventually, it was proven that it was not real. How could a "stuffed animal" weather the elements of the Washington cycle and remain looking none for the wear.
When I lived in Michigan, there were other items like this to see as well. They still have the largest tire in the world built by Goodyear Tires, which is two or three stories high and made out of rubber. The Detroit fairgrounds used to have the largest stove in the world and eventually, someone bought it and took it away. This elephant would have fit in nicely with those things.


An artist made four sculptures of people waiting at a bus stop. It appears others have augmented them with colourful apparel. Olympia has a sculpture of two lovers standing at Percival Landing on one of the most southern reaches of Puget Sound. I couldn't find my picture of them, so I will need to take another and post it for you.


This is the largest statue of Lenin ( not the one of Beatle fame ) . The story on this is sketchy at best but the owner of the Taco Del Mar purchased it years ago as it lay in the dirt somewhere. It's home ended up being Seattle. Most of the young generation haven't a clue who he was or his significance.


Another view of Lenin's Statue in Seattle.


This is an American mummy on display at "Ye Old Curiosity Shop". Evidently, the place is (pardon my pun) stuffed with other artifacts and goodies. If you're ever in Seattle and bored with the typical tourist things to do and see, add these to your list. ;-)

18 comments:

Greg said...

Well, thank you, Butch!! This was a fun tour of curiosities.

Never been to the west coast (never been much of anywhere, alas...), so your travelogue helps broaden my horizons. I just love that troll guy...it looks like a sand sculpture, but I hope he's made of something more permanent.

Butch said...

Greg: You're very welcome! The Troll is made of a form of concrete and I think the Volkswagen is actually real. Someone "liberated" the California license plate awhile back and the one eye that gleams out at you is made from a hubcap. I understand the Troll won the 1st prize among artists in the Fremont area of Seattle when it was created. Now one has to admit, how many cities have their own troll residing under a bridge?! ;-) Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me when I spotted this troll and had to find a picture of it and the other oddities shown. I've got these places on my "things to visit" list when I'm doing nothing in Seattle and want to do something fun.

Joe Jubinville said...

I love these local oddities, seems every town has one or two.

I remember reading an illustrated Troll Under The Bridge when I was a kid... the crouching troll, though ugly, was naked and a rather sexy little beast. Rang a couple of erotic chimes even back then.

Butch said...

Joe: I do as well. I have always been a sucker for those carnies barked "Hurry, hurry, for one small thin dime, one tenth of a dollar..." spiels before you get to go into the tent and see the oddity. ;-)

I'll have to look up the book you mentioned about naked trolls. (hurry, hurry, for one small ...)

Gill said...

Butchie that's a knee slapper!!! Stuffed!!! You are silly billy.
Anyhoo, never heard of an American mummy.
But I lovvvvve the elephant. Very cool. Real or not!!!
xoxo

Butch said...

Gillian: I know puns are supposed to be the lowest form of humour, but I just can't pass up a good one.(or two) ;-)

I understand that the American mummy meant it came from the Americas and not Egypt or some other place. Who knows, eh? ;-)

Patrick said...

I always loved visiting the Troll when I lived in Seattle. I don't know if it's still there, but there was a great cafe nearby that I frequented, I think it was called the Sunlight Cafe? Big, airy, with lots of windows, always a good place for people watching. If you get a chance, next time see if you can find the UPS waterfall park, close to Elliot Bay Bookstore. That's one of those surprising places I used to love showing visitors. It's tucked into a small area on one block nearby. Sorry I can't be more specific, I could probably find it again, but can't give very good directions.

Butch said...

Patrick: Thanks for the two tips.

I will try and find the UPS waterfall park next time I'm there and the Sunlight Café sounds like a plan in the making.

The Troll is still there the last time I looked. I was having my Harp re-strung,levers adjusted,and a pickup system installed at Dusty Strings which happens to be in the Fremont neighborhood when I found it. I think it is either on N 36th street or N 34th. Since it is made of cement and considered an art treasure, ( at least by the Fremont inhabitants ) I don't see it being removed anytime in the future.

tornwordo said...

I like the troll. Well be in seattle for a day in december, so I'll have to have a look!

Butch said...

Torn: Let me know when it will be if you have some time during your visit to meet one of your blogging friends. We'd definitely drive up to Seattle to meet you if possible.

Patrick said...

Oh my god, I LOVED Dusty Strings! I'm so glad to know they're still in business. Those small specialty stores can so easily go under with barely a murmur, but that one is such a great niche store. I would occasionally fantasize about learning the harp (or hammer dulcimer, or fiddle or...) if for no other reason than it would give me an excuse to hang out there more often. One only 'needs' so many tin whistles. Thanks for reminding me about this place.

Oh, I knew the troll was still there, and no, I dn't see it going anywhere anytime soon, for the reasons you mention, when I was speculating about something being gone, I was speaking about the cafe. And it might be called the Sunrise, not the Sunlight... even in Seattle those cafes can turn over or disappear, but I hope that one is still there. It was, and I hope is, a welcoming space.

Butch said...

Patrick: I think there are no worries about Dusty Strings going belly-up, they are nationally known and do business, especially with selling harps all over. They, as you know, offer a variety of other instruments as well. Their technicians, who are authorized also, to work on Taylor guitars are quite good and since I own a Taylor 410 that needs some fret work and a pickup installed, I will be back to their store soon. There are many ways of my parting with my money if I put my mind to it. ;-) When I'm in the neighborhood, I will definitely look up the café you mentioned. I also, looked up the Garden waterfall you mentioned and it is still an attraction in Seattle. One can hear water falling and it's no where in sight because of the wall where the garden is behind.

Wonder Man said...

Love it, Butch. I love to see the oddities of towns and cities.

Butch said...

Wonder Man: If one looks hard enough, one can find them just about in any city or town. I love the stories that go with them as well.

J-o-h-n-n-y said...

My favorite place in Seattle -"Troll Under the Bridge"

:_)

Butch said...

Johnny 368:

It is unique, isn't it? ;-)

Java said...

I LOVE the troll! I want one. I suppose I should find a bridge somewhere, too. I mean, I need to have a home for the troll.

Butch said...

Java: I understand they're hard to keep fed and grow out of their clothes. ( not unlike raising teens, eh?! ) ;-)