Friday, April 4, 2008

Vietnam - 1969


This picture of a sunset, in an harbour in Vietnam, of which I have long forgotten its name, was taken 15-Apr-1969, 39 years ago this month. ( I'm finding this hard to believe since it only feels like yesterday to me at times.)


With that feeling in mind, it was 1968 when I received my notice that I had been "drafted" to service in the United States Army. ( what to do... ) There were some choices, one could travel to Canada and ask for asylum; one could refuse to go and be tried by a court and jailed for a certain amount of time; one could be against war for religious reasons; one could ignore the draft notice; if one were in school, that would work, or one could "check the box." The last one was referring to a question asked on one of the written exams that was given during the "physical" which determined whether you were fit or not to serve your country. The question was about whether you had any homosexual tendencies or not. It was a "black and white" question, and nothing in between. To give you a little history of the times, homosexuality was diagnosable as a "mental-disease" and acting upon it was against the law. It wasn't until 1973 that this "disease" was taken off the books and became a variation of normal. So... this was 1968 and those were my options. Running away to Canada would have shamed my family and their families. Refusing to serve would amount to the same thing. I was in enough fights with my peers growing up that trying to pass as a non-violent pacifist would never work no matter how I felt about fighting or killing for that matter. It all boils down to whether I would have the cojones to "check the box" or not. I chose not to check it and was drafted knowing full well that as a gay man, I could have gotten out of it if I pushed it. One has to remember that gays were only known as stereotypes during this time. "Weak, limp-wrist ed, lisping, effeminate," you get the picture. ( not that anything is wrong with naturally having one of those traits ) I was not recognized as having any of those "mannerisms" and worse, couldn't even fake it and one truly needed to present one or more of these actions to convince them you were gay. There were straights who were checking the box by the way. ;-)


This is a picture of me piloting the "Delta Queen," ( how ironic, eh?! ) a ship of 130 feet in length and handling 300 Tons. The fellow who took it had to yell at me to get my attention due to the very loud engines, hence, my look.
Here are two of the ships I used to run up and down the Mekong River and some of its tributaries. The Mike Boat is around 69 to 70 feet long and the "Delta Queen" is behind it. Our company had one more sister ship of the "Delta Queen" named the "Beta-Saigon." It had a more affectionate nick-name which was, "The Wrinkle Neck." I will have to explain that one another time, and hopefully, will bring a laugh. ;-)


We were all getting ready to jump into the water on this very, very hot day. Temperatures have been over 120 degrees F. ( 48.8 degrees C. ) I recall now that if the temperature dipped below 80 degrees F. (approximately 28 degrees C.) I would start shivering and would need to throw a blanket on myself. Now, I do not like hot weather and start wilting from 70 degrees F (around 22 degrees C.) and up.


This was a picture of me posing in front of our M-14 rifle rack in Basic Training. Basic Training for me was at Ft. Knox, Kentucky. I weighed around 205lbs. in this picture and did not lose an ounce during Basic Training. When I came back from Vietnam I was 158 lbs. and hadn't realized I had been losing weight until I tried putting on some of my "civilian" clothes and the belt didn't have a hole in it that would hold up my pants. You may be able to see the difference from this last picture and some of the previous ones. Those pictures were taken in April and I left Vietnam in early January of 1970 so I had continued dropping weight without knowing it.

Would I change my decision if I had to make it today? First of all, I was against the war then and I am against this debacle our "Fearless Leader" has gotten us into in Iraq, now. I hope he and his minions pay for this in the future. That being said, today, I would be proud to "check the box." This country is not ready for us and doesn't want gays and lesbians tempting their straight soldiers. :-) I have found from personal experience that it is usually the straight boys coming on to you, if you look receptive. The gays I knew did their jobs and weren't "trying to undermine the morale of the troops." ;-) Most were worried they might be caught and stayed away from the temptation. A straight boy, after the deed was done, would have afterthoughts of guilt, ( because they are not gay of course ;-) and it has to be someone else's fault they were weak and forced to do it. ) and you can guess who would have been blamed. It will be great when this is not a problem anymore. One only needs to look at the many rapes that have been brought to light recently, to know that there are huge problems in morale with many of the straight soldiers and using gays or lesbians as the scapegoat is not holding much water anymore. Perhaps, in my lifetime, we will see this government appreciate all of its citizens and especially those, no matter their orientation, who are willing to lay down their lives for their fellow man.

Today's thoughts are on the present "troubles" in which my country continues to find itself and there are many questions as to why we are doing this when there are so many other pressing issues. This song says it well, sung by Pink, entitled: "Mr. President."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7SrM1RfB0

10 comments:

Paul said...

Butch,

I think I’m a little younger than you are, but not by much.

I never went to Vietnam, nor was I in the service. But it’s often hard for me to look back at that period in time objectively. It wasn’t all bad. It wasn’t all good. The war wasn’t just in Southeast Asia, but it was here too – particularly on school campuses. And it wasn’t just about fighting Communism.

I grew up in a small town connected to an Army base that was the next-to-the-last-stop before Vietnam for many, many men. In general, most of the residents in my hometown saw the Army (and the war) as a positive influence. Federal money helped build new schools, highways and hospitals.

On the other hand, I was actually very removed from the war itself. None of the guys I hung out with were drafted. I didn’t know anyone personally that was killed. Most of my friends all had college deferments. My older brother was a conscientious objector. I had a draft number well over 300.

However out of this conflict, I think our country was forced to look at a lot of things differently. One was race. Another was sex. And while neither issue is totally resolved, I do think things continue to get better.

I find it very hard to explain to people younger than I am that for guys coming of age before 1973 that homosexuality was a choice. Sexual orientation may not have necessarily been a choice, but how you decided to live with it, or accept it, or deal with it, definitely was.

“Checking that box” would have been a shame to families just as running away to Canada was. It does not amaze me – at all – that so many gay men over 50, or even over 40, are married with kids. It was much easier than “checking the box.”

Butch, I commend you for serving in Vietnam. For coming out. And for having a long-term relationship with your partner. You’ve obviously had the courage and strength to do a lot of things right.

Butch said...

Paul: Many thanks for your thoughts and commenting on them. If there is one thing I learned from it all, it was a difficult and personal decision everyone had to make during those times and I have never been judgemental of anyone's final decision on what they would do. Whether a person chose a new life in Canada, went to jail, or did what I did, the decision was well thought out.

I do have a problem with the Cheney's ( 5 deferments ) who were arrogant when asked why they never served. He said he had "more important things to do..." I too, have friends who were saved from being put in harm's way by being in school. I just wasn't that fortunate during that period of my life. I also, know that someone had to take Bush's place going to Vietnam as well, but what bothers me, even with his father's help in securing a place for him in the National Guard, he couldn't even complete that duty, yet this is the guy making the decisions and putting other parent's kids in harm's way when he wasn't able to do it himself. sigh... ( that's my take of course, and only mine. )

Thank you, and bless your heart for all the very warm comments at the end of your entry, they mean a lot to me.

Java said...

I was a small child when you were serving our country. There was much turmoil in our nation and the world, and many young men (and a few women)fought bravely in many kind of battles. I was at the time ignorant of the whole thing. The more gay men I meet, the more I realize and appreciate the battles fought on many fronts; military, ideological, personal. It has never been easy to be different. Some differences are harder than others. I commend you for taking your stand, making the choices you did. Thank you.

Butch said...

Java: Many thanks for your comments. During my teens and well into my 20s, a gay person had no idols or role models to follow helping us realize that it was OK to be gay and to show us that one could live being "out" celebrating who we are at the core of our being. I often thought I must be the only one in the world. All of my friends at the time were straight. ( or so I thought ) As it turns out there were many, just like myself hiding inside and taking a glimpse out at the world from a safe place inside our selves. Even with all the evil mankind can has done to gays and lesbians throughout time, growing up gay in the world today can be much easier with all the role models and knowing that you are fine and not broken needing fixing. ( I remember the woman who did your taxes and pity her more than wanting to hate her. Hate is such a negative emotion and does more damage to the person hating than to the object of it, in my opinion. )

In my time of coming out, it was OK to attack, beat up and expose a person for just being gay. You deserved what ever happened to you seemed to be the response of the times. We even entered gay bars through the back-doors so we wouldn't be seen on the street and exposed by a person recognizing us as they pass by. The bars were raided regularly, and where I grew up, the mob owned many of the bars and payed the police protection-money to keep them from raiding them more often. Unfortunately, this is what happens in a society where one has to hide their orientation or is made to believe the rhetoric said about themselves. One is set free when we come out of the shadows and embrace who we are inspite of the bleating coming from the right-winged fundies.
Thanks for stopping by and your comments.

Greg said...

Wow, Butch...loved every word of this, but specifically

Your memories of the draft made me think of all the times I wondered how I might respond if we'd had one in my generation. All those options, none of them good or easy choices.

And you make me thankful, as difficult as things still can be, for how much the status has improved for the gay community, in a relatively short time.

And I just love that you say "It will be great when this is not a problem anymore," without a doubt in your heart that it will be so. Ah, sweet hope!

And the link to Pink: how have I never heard this song before? Strong stuff.

(BTW you, and other dear bloggers as well...have inspired me to finally start compiling my 100 list...coming soon)

Butch said...

Greg: Many thanks for your thoughtful and kind comments. (yes... I'm still up, and what are you doing up so late? You are 3 hours ahead of us. ) ;-)

I have two younger brothers, one, 5 years younger who had an highter lottery number and wouldn't have gone and my youngest brother who was just a wee lad born in 1960. I wouldn't have wished this on anyone, friend or foe. It was an experience I will never forget. I recall the physical exam as being a joke. They needed soldiers and it would take a lot to keep a person out of the service.

One can only hope that all the bigotry and hate will eventually die off and as more scientific knowledge proves that it is a genetic variance and that it doesn't need fixing, the only ones left bleating will be the Fred Phelps', Robertson's, Hagee's and the rest. This is how they make their money and unfortunately, it seems to work.

Glad you liked Pink, I think she is amazing and this song says it all, in my opinion.

(Good luck on your 100 list. I have to admit, I like reading them as well, and one does learn a bit about those mysterious bloggers we come to know and love. ) ;-)

Greg said...

Ok, so I'm busted. Late night at work had me a little wired when I got home, and after posting myself, I started looking around at a few new posts of others...never a quick affair, it seems. No one more horrified than I to realize it was suddnely 4:30...ha ha...

Butch said...

Greg: LOL! ( not that I'm the "thought-police" or such. )
Since retirement, my hours are never set in stone. I do not need much sleep so the "catching up on my beauty-sleep" wouldn't work either. ;-) When I come home from playing at the Irish seisiún, I can never go to sleep anyway, so I usually stay up blogging or some other thing to "come-down" so to speak.

Joe Jubinville said...

My feelings about Vietnam aside, if they ever decide to get rid of Dont Ask Don't Tell, they could use your photos in a recruiting poster... hotcha! , -)

Butch said...

Joe: ;-) It's interesting how we look to ourselves. I always considered myself unattractive. Looking back, I see myself differently. ( hotcha! LOL! )