Wednesday, April 9, 2008

When Insults Had Class

I have always enjoyed good wit, especially when shown in the art of debate or bantering. Enjoy!
=================================================================

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill"

A modest little person, with much to be modest about" Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?" Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." Moses Hadas

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know." Abraham Lincoln

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." Groucho Marx

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play, bring a friend... if you have one." George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one." Winston Churchill, in reply.

Storm's a brewin'.

8 comments:

Greg said...

Ah, you can always count on wordsmiths for creative insulting! Good thing we all like one another, eh?

Butch said...

Greg: How true, how true. ;-)

Cooper said...

I was reading a biography of Winston Churchill that contained this gem:

As a young man, Winston Churchill was at a party one evening, when an attractive, but deeply silly, socialite came up to him and gushed, "Oh, Mr Churchill, imagine if you and I were to marry, what beautiful, intelligent children we would produce!" He replied, "But madam, imagine if they were to recieve my looks and your brains!"

Made me chuckle at the time, and I've never forgotten it.

Butch said...

Cooper: That's a great one! I have always enjoyed a person with a good wit.

There's a story about the great Italian conductor, Arturo Toscanini who had a soprano that continued to mess up a certain portion of a piece she was singing. During the concert, she did it again and afterwards, she was apoligizing to the maestro when he grabbed her "well-sized" bosom with both hands and said, " Madam, if these were only brains."
;-)

ps My word verifications are getting very strange, this one was
"dykacrok" Where is my tin-foil hat?

Joe Jubinville said...

"If I were married to you, I'd put poison in your coffee."
- Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"If you were my wife, I'd drink it."
- Winston Churchill's reply

Butch said...

Joe: ha! One of my favorites, thanks.

Java said...

I love these! There is so much style in a good insult.

Butch said...

Java: You bet! It's too easy stepping down into the gutter for expletives, no matter how well they feel saying them. These "zing" just as well and with much more class! ;-)

Again, with these word verifications: This one is,
"reargerr" (an attractive thought)